The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses
The DAISY Award is an international program that rewards and celebrates the extraordinary compassionate and skillful care given by nurses every day.
Methodist Children’s Hospital and Women’s Services is proud to be a DAISY Award Partner, recognizing one of our nurses with this special honor each quarter. DAISY Award honorees personify Methodist Children’s Hospital and Women’s Services remarkable patient experience. These nurses consistently demonstrate excellence through their clinical expertise and extraordinary compassionate care. They are recognized as outstanding role models in our nursing community.
Each DAISY Award Honoree will be recognized at a public ceremony in her/his unit and will receive: a beautiful certificate, a DAISY Award pin, and a hand-carved stone sculpture entitled A Healer’s Touch.
Additionally, everyone in the unit will celebrate with Cinnabon ® cinnamon rolls – a favorite of Patrick’s during his illness. The Barnes Family asks that whenever and wherever nurses smell that wonderful cinnamon aroma, they stop for a moment and think about how special they are.
The DAISY Foundation was established in 1999 by the family of J. Patrick Barnes who died of complications of the auto-immune disease Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP) at the age of 33. (DAISY is an acronym for diseases attacking the immune system.) During Pat’s 8 week hospitalization, his family was awestruck by the care and compassion his nurses provided not only to Pat but to everyone in his family. So one of the goals they set in creating a Foundation in Pat’s memory was to recognize extraordinary nurses everywhere who make an enormous difference in the lives of so many people by the super-human work they do every day.
To find out more about the program, including the growing list of Partners, please go to www.DAISYfoundation.org.
The DAISY Award nominee should meet all of the following criteria:
- Upholds the Methodist Healthcare Nursing Vision as a compassionate and caring professional fully engaged in proudly serving humanity to honor God
- Demonstrates Methodist Healthcare Nursing Values (CARING: Compassion, Accountable, Respect, Integrity, Nurturing, Giving) through his/her actions with colleagues, patients, and guests
- Patient focused by keeping the care and outcomes of the patient as a top priority
- Recognized by peers as a role model in delivering evidence based care at the bedside
- Invested in his/her professional growth as well as the professional development of his/her direct team/unit