About the Methodist Advanced Lung Center
The Methodist Advanced Lung Center specializes in lung disease and lung cancer treatment in San Antonio, Texas and world-wide. Our exceptional team of doctors, nurses and therapist focus primarily on the treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension, Lung Cancer and Interstitial Lung Disease. The Methodist Advanced Lung Center is home to the latest, most advanced diagnostic, therapeutic and management services for the treatment of lung disease and lung cancer.
Patients and their families can be assured they are receiving the best personalized treatment plan. Expert care givers and medical professionals from multiple disciplines meet regularly to evaluate individual cases and determine the best care options for each patient.
The Methodist Lung Nodule Program focuses on the early detection of lung nodules and a comprehensive surveillance plan. The Program is operated by a multidisciplinary team of health care providers trained in early diagnosis of lung cancer and advanced individualized treatment– ultimately saving lives.
Endoscopes are commonly used by health care providers in the prevention, early detection, diagnosis, staging, and treatment of many types of cancers, and to allow health care providers to view parts of the body. The Methodist Endoscopy Center works hand-in-hand with the Advanced Lung Center offering progressive endoscopic procedures, such as:
- Bronchial Alveolar Lavage (BAL)
- Transbronchial Biopsy (TBBX)
- Transtracheal Needle Aspiration (TTNA)
ADVANCED BRONCHOSCOPY for the comprehensive chest and lung staging:
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS)
- Electromagnetic Navigational Bronchoscopy
- Tumor Debulking (ERBE)
- Bronchial Balloon Dilatation
- Endobronchial Stenting
- Fiducial placement for CyberKnife®
BRONCHIAL THERMOPLASTY (SEVERE ASTHMA)
CHEST TUBE PLACEMENT: Long-term management with Small-bore PleurX® catheter
TRACHEOSTOMY tube exchange and stoma dilatation
Pulmonary Hypertension can be a debilitating disease that occurs when the blood vessels in the lungs gets too high, causing a potentially serious condition. Our Pulmonary Hypertension Program focuses on the successful treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension by:
- EARLY DETECTION AND MANAGEMENT of Pulmonary Hypertension by a team of trained physicians and cardiology experts
- INTERDISCIPLINARY TEAM of nurses, social workers, financial counselors and specialty pharmacists experienced in complex pulmonary vasodilator therapy drugs
- PATIENT EDUCATION with a focus on disease management
Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation is a multidisciplinary program used for the personalized treatment and management of acute and/or chronic cardiopulmonary disease including:
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY EVALUATION AND INSTRUCTION
- STRESS MANAGEMENT
A dedicated team of nurses and doctors who treat lung cancer provide:
- TREATMENT WITH ONGOING SUPPORT to patients and families throughout their cancer journey
- ONCOLOGY NURSE NAVIGATOR SERVICES
- A HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL TRAINED IN LUNG CANCER TREATMENT who is a point of contact throughout the continuum of care
Interstitial lung disease includes many different lung conditions that affect the space around the small air sacs of the lung, called the interstitium. Learn More.
Jairo A. Melo, M.D.
Co-Medical Director, Methodist Advanced Lung Center
Dr. Jairo A. Melo received his medical degree from the Ponticia Bolivariana University, Medellin, Colombia in 1991 and completed his internal residency and a Pulmonary and Critical Care fellowship in San Antonio, Texas. Committed to high-quality, state-of-the art patient care, Dr. Melo has been in practice for 24 years and is affiliated with Methodist Hospital. He is the cofounder of the Methodist Hospital intensivist program and Texas IPS dedicated to integrated patient care and sleep disorders. Dr. Melo is also the Co-Medical Director of the Methodist Hospital Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic and Endoscopy Center. He is active in several professional organizations and is Board Certified in Pulmonary Disease, Internal and Critical Care Medicine.
Arturo Lopez, M.D.
Co-Medical Director, Methodist Advanced Lung Center
Dr. Arturo Lopez received his medical degree from the University of Texas at San Antonio and completed his internal residency at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ. He also completed a Pulmonary and Critical Care fellowship at the University of New Mexico in 2006. Dr. Lopez specializes in advance lung diseases and has been in practice for 16 years. He is the Co-Founder of the Methodist Hospital intensivist program and Texas IPS and was previously the Medical Director for the Methodist Hospital Respiratory Department and Vice Chief of the Department of Medicine. Dr. Lopez is Board Certified in Pulmonary Disease, Internal and Critical Care Medicine.
Napoleón Puente Cuéllar, M.D.
Pulmonary Medical Director, Methodist Endoscopy Center
Dr. Napoleon Puente received his medical degree from Jose Matias Delgado University Faculty of Health Sciences, San Salvador, El Salvador in 2001 and completed his internal residency program at the Roger Williams Medical Center. Additionally, he completed a Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Fellowship with an affiliated Brown University program. Dr. Puente is the Co-Medical Director of the Methodist Hospital Endoscopy Center and is leading the advanced bronchoscopy program. He is active in several professional organizations and is currently the Chief of Medicine at Methodist Texsan Hospital. Dr. Puente is Board Certified in Pulmonary Disease, Internal and Critical Care Medicine.
THE QUIT SMOKING PROGRAM:
The Quit Smoking Program includes:
- One-on-one interview with a medical professional who has advanced education in tobacco cessation counseling
- Patient enrollment in Quit Now, a Texas funded program with 24/7 coaching available
- Evidence-based patient education handouts
- Quit smoking educational video
- Coordination with the patient’s primary provider to initiate adjunct tobacco cessation therapies
Methodist Healthcare works together with Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare, provide experienced, compassionate nurse navigators tsupport patients as they gthrough the many stages of living with cancer.
Your nurse navigator is your medical system advocate and will help you, and your family, understand each part of the cancer journey while compassionately supporting your physical, emotional, and spiritual needs.
How our nurse navigators help you
- Understand diagnosis and available treatment options
- Understand what resources are available and how taccess them
- Understand your medications
- Provide educational materials
- Offer you the opportunity tparticipate in clinical trials
- Help you overcome barriers
- Coordinator care with the entire healthcare team including:
- Medical oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
- Plastic surgeons
- Genetic counselors
- Support groups
- Physician/Lymphedema therapists
- Connect you with community resources
- Improve communication between the healthcare team and host multidisciplinary cancer conferences tensure that you received personalized treatment