Methodist Aortic Center offers services at the Methodist facility located in the Medical Center. It serves all of South Texas providing patients treatment plans from critical to advanced therapy measures to those who have been diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm to reduce the need for surgery.
Patient - What to Expect
Each patient will have a specific treatment plan provided based upon their stage of aneurysm and their medical history. It will take on average about two to three months to achieve full recovery after undergoing ascending aortic aneurysm/dissection or arch surgery. Your surgeon will advise you to plan to be away from work for six to eight weeks with some post-operative restrictions for activities. We encourage participation in a cardiac rehabilitation program during your recovery period. Arrangements can be made for these services prior to your discharge home.
Remember to make lifestyle changes even after surgery such as eating well and subscribing to a healthy diet, smoking cessation, and engaging in moderate physical activity. There are no medications to prevent the development of an aortic aneurysm but controlling blood pressure and cholesterol levels may reduce the risk of complications from an aortic aneurysm.
The surgeon will follow the patients 3, 6, 9 months - then decrease visits and have their PCP or Cardiologist continue the follow up care. See the patient guide for detail about preparation for your surgery, during your hospital stay and going home after your surgery, these are a few guidelines of what to expect when you go home.
- Post-operative restriction will differ from patient to patient. Your surgeon will advise you on these restrictions before discharge.
- Participating in a cardiac rehab program is strongly recommended.
- Daily walking is a good way to regain strength and improve your energy levels.
- Eating healthy, incorporating fruits, vegetable and whole grain in your diet will help in your recovery.
- Habits including smoking and alcohol use should be eliminated.
Methodist Aortic Center
4499 Medical Dr, suite 120
San Antonio, TX 78229
Phone - (210) 575-5506
Fax - (210) 575-6120
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm