Childbirth is an unforgettable experience. At Methodist Hospital South in Jourdanton, Texas, you and your baby are in expert hands. Our board-certified physicians, nurses and support staff strive to help you bond with your baby and provide the resources you need for a safe delivery.
For more information or to arrange a tour of the labor and delivery unit at Methodist Hospital South, please call (830) 769-5252.
We offer personalized, compassionate care to each new mom, from admission to discharge.
Our maternity unit is part of women's services at Methodist Hospital South. Our team of nurses, OB/GYNs, surgeons and specialists are dedicated to helping you feel comfortable during labor and delivery. We frequently give tours of our unit for prospective parents on a walk-in basis.
Our labor and delivery rooms
Our center features two home-like labor, delivery and recovery (LDR) rooms, eight postpartum rooms and an operating triage in the event of a necessary surgical procedure or an elective one, such as tubal ligation. Our obstetric, pediatric and anesthesia services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We also provide care for vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC).
We encourage skin-to-skin contact during the "golden hour" following delivery to begin bonding as soon as possible. For this reason, we delay cord clamping, and all our LDR and postpartum rooms are spacious enough to include simultaneous mother and infant care, known as couplet care.
Safety is a top priority at Methodist Hospital South, which is why we have a technologically advanced infant security system with lock-down procedures in place.
We accommodate laboring moms and their loved ones in comfortable labor and delivery rooms that include:
- Sleeping areas for family members
- Private bathroom
- Free WiFi
- Cable TV
- Specially prepared postpartum meal for two
- Quiet time between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. for mom and baby to rest
- Complimentary quiet time snacks
After delivery care and breastfeeding support
Methodist Hospital South is certified by and follows the Texas 10 Step standard that outlines 10 steps to successful breastfeeding. Certified lactation consultants are available for in-room assistance via telephone following delivery.
Our well baby nursery
Our 11-bed neonatal nursery, also known as a well baby nursery, is located within the maternity unit at Methodist Hospital South. Our specialists, called neonatologists, care for infants with minor health issues. Some of the procedures and services offered in the neonatal intensive care unit include:
- Phototherapy for jaundice
- Care for late preterm infants (35 weeks or older)
- Stabilizing premature infants for transport (34 weeks or younger)
- Infection prevention
- Basic birth care
- Incubation to maintain ideal environmental conditions
- Breastfeeding support
- Noninvasive hearing screen test
- Car seat test (testing to see if there are instances of apnea—pauses in breathing—or bradycardia—a slow heart rate—while in a car seat)
Many newborns benefit from skin-to-skin contact, so we encourage parents to hold their baby while in the NICU. For infants with more extensive complications or conditions, we arrange transport to a nearby higher level NICU hospital.
Meet our labor and delivery team
- Edward B. Blackmon, Jr., M.D.—Board certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Benjamin S. Zertuche, M.D.—Board certified in family practice by the American Board of Family Practice and provides OB/GYN services
Labor and delivery at Methodist Healthcare
Just as every baby is unique, so is every delivery. As your partner in care, we provide a customized birthing experience that begins long before your first contraction and continues well after delivery.Learn about Labor and delivery
- Methodist Hospital
- Methodist Hospital Ambulatory Surgery
- Methodist Hospital Metropolitan
- Methodist Hospital Northeast
- Methodist Hospital South
- Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant
- Methodist Hospital Stone Oak
- Methodist Hospital Texsan