World class spine care is close to home in San Antonio, Texas. Methodist Hospital | Texsan provides specialized orthopedic spine care with advanced technology. Our program allows for minimally invasive treatment and focused rehabilitation, which shortens your hospital stay and gets you back to your routine.
To learn more about spine care at Methodist Hospital | Texsan, please call (210) 736-6700.
The Center for Spine
The Center for Spine is an orthopedic spine program, within Methodist Hospital | Texsan, dedicated to providing high-quality care of the spine. Our specialized program focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of various spinal conditions caused by disease or trauma.
Our physicians visit patients daily and track milestones to ensure a safe and efficient discharge. We work to provide seamless care with all disciplines involved in your care, such as case management, nutrition and physical therapy and rehabilitation.
Therapy is provided with a trained therapist in a solo or group setting. Physical evaluations begin within four hours of your arrival and continue often during your stay to measure improvement.
When to see a spine specialist
If you have chronic back and neck pain that persists frequently for more than a few months, or a tingling sensation in the arms and legs, you may benefit from visiting a spine specialist. Treatment options will usually begin with noninvasive or minimally invasive procedures, like steroid injections or physical therapy. If there is no improvement, surgery may be an effective treatment.
Causes of neck and back pain
Back and neck pain can dampen quality of life. While some back pain can resolve itself in a matter of weeks, recurring pain may be a symptom of other medical issues. Some of the injuries and illnesses we treat are:
- Natural aging processes
- Spinal disc injuries
- Spinal disc deterioration
- Fractures caused by falls
- Injury from improper lifting
When other methods of treatment have failed to alleviate pain or correct an abnormality, our spine surgeons provide exceptional, compassionate surgical care. Methodist Healthcare uses advanced technology, such as robotic surgery, to ensure safe and improved outcomes following spine surgery. Some of the procedures performed at The Center for Spine are:
- Laminectomy—Procedure to remove the lamina, or the vertebral bone, along the spine to alleviate pain or to remove a tumor
- Cervical and lumbar fusion—Surgery to join together two or more spinal bones to reduce movement for pain relief or to correct a condition like scoliosis
- Anterior cervical discectomy—An incision is made in the throat to reach a herniated disc in the neck to treat neck pain and other conditions
Visiting our spine doctors
The Center for Spine is within Methodist Hospital | Texsan on the third floor in the orthopedic department. Patients and visitors can park for free in the lot outside the hospital. All guests must check in at the admissions desk through the hospital lobby entrance.
- Methodist Hospital
- Methodist Hospital South
- Methodist Hospital | Ambulatory Surgery
- Methodist Hospital | Metropolitan
- Methodist Hospital | Northeast
- Methodist Hospital | Specialty and Transplant
- Methodist Hospital | Stone Oak
- Methodist Hospital | Texsan