At Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant, we are committed to providing an exceptional standard of care, which extends to our crisis stabilization services for behavioral health and substance abuse conditions. Our multi-disciplinary team and individualized treatment approach has served to provide a safe, comfortable environment that promotes recovery.
For more information about behavioral health services or to speak with a behavioral health specialist, please call (210) 575-0500.
Behavioral health diagnoses/conditions
Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant offers a full spectrum of adult and geriatric behavioral health services that diagnose and treat the following conditions:
- Mood disorders
- Suicidal behavior
- Psychotic thinking
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Symptoms of major depression
- Depressed most of the day, nearly every day
- Feeling sad, empty, hopeless or are teary
- Feeling no pleasure or a significantly reduced interest in most activities of the day, nearly every day
- Experiencing significant weight loss when not dieting
- Weight gain or unexplained decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day
- Insomnia or sleeping excessively nearly every day
- Restlessness or slowed behavior that can be observed by others
- Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day
- Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt, such as believing things that are not true nearly every day
- Inability to concentrate or indecisiveness nearly every day
- Recurring thoughts of suicide, death or planning a suicide
- Attempted suicide
Symptoms of bipolar disorder
- In most forms of bipolar disorder, moods alternate between elevated and depressed over time. However, with mixed bipolar disorder, a person experiences both mania and depression simultaneously or in rapid sequence.
- Self-injury, often referred to as cutting, self-mutilation or self-harm, is an attempt to cope with overpowering negative emotions, such as extreme anger, anxiety and frustration. It is usually repetitive, not a one-time act.
- When a person's illness follows the classic pattern, diagnosing bipolar disorder is relatively easy. However, bipolar disorder symptoms can defy the expected manic-depressive sequence.
- Suicide is a very real risk for people with bipolar disorder, whether they are in a manic or depressive episode. Approximately 10 to 15 percent of people with bipolar disorder commit suicide. However, treatment greatly lowers the risk.
Behavioral health services and procedures
Methodist Healthcare offers behavioral health services for adults age 18 years and older. Our 74-bed secure unit, including a specialized 10-bed geriatric unit, is located at Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant. Our goal at is to ensure that patients receive treatment in a setting that is conducive to their individualized needs. We offer a variety of treatment programs designed specifically for adults with mental health conditions.
Adult and senior behavioral health
- Psychiatry services
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Medication management
- Nursing care services
For information on our outpatient treatment programs or to schedule an assessment, please contact our clinical team Monday-Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm at (210) 575-0509. You can also schedule an assessment online.
Adult outpatient services
Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant Behavioral Health Services Outpatient Clinic
Located on the Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant campus, the newly renovated Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant Behavioral Health Services Outpatient Clinic provides care for individuals who are stable on medications, but in need of psychotherapy intervention.
Intensive outpatient program
The program is designed to provide care for individuals who are stable on medications, but in need of psychotherapy intervention.
- Mental health track offered: Tuesday-Friday, 9:00am-12:00pm
Partial hospital program
This medically supervised day program provides services for individuals experiencing behavioral health issues. This is a structured weekday program designed to provide the same care and level of services as those received on an inpatient unit. Our program offers:
- Monday-Friday, 9:00am - 3:30pm
Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant is located off Wurzbach Rd. and Floyd Curl Dr. Parking is available directly in front of the main entrance. Upon entering the main entrance, please check in with our reception desk so we can navigate you to your final destination.
Before any outpatient treatment, a patient must first complete an initial assessment, which is offered in person or virtually. Please call (210) 575-0509 to reach our outpatient psychiatric clinic to schedule an initial evaluation. Our outpatient behavioral health programs are located on the third floor of our main hospital campus in the newly renovated Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant Behavioral Health Services Outpatient Clinic.