Our cardiology team at Methodist Hospital | Texsan has developed an award-winning reputation for providing outstanding cardiovascular care in San Antonio and South Texas. We provide expert care with the latest technology to diagnose and treat cardiovascular conditions so you can get back to your best self.
To learn more about cardiology at Methodist Hospital | Texsan, please call (210) 736-6700.
Nationally recognized heart care
The American College of Cardiology (ACC) has accredited Methodist Hospital | Texsan's Electrophysiology Laboratory (EP lab) and Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory (cath lab) for efficient, safe and high quality cardiac care for our patients.
We have also received the highest recognition hospitals can receive, the Heart Care Center National Distinction of Excellence award, for continuous improvement and excellence in the field of cardiology.
Our cardiology services
Find compassionate, award-winning cardiac care and cardiovascular surgical care with Methodist Healthcare. At Methodist Hospital | Texsan, we offer four cath labs, an EP lab, our Cardiac Imaging Center as well as heart and vascular surgery.
Our Cardiac Imaging Center offers cardiac positron emission tomography (PET) scans and interventional cardiology for complex procedures. Our inpatient and outpatient heart care specialists and cardiologists strive to provide comfortable, expert care to prevent, diagnose and treat a range of heart-related conditions.
Our catheterization lab procedures
A catheterization lab is where interventional cardiologists, nurses and technologists perform minimally invasive procedures, usually using catheters (small tubes) and imaging equipment to study a patient's heart and vascular system.
Some of the procedures we offer in our cath labs include:
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)—Procedures to open up coronary arteries that have narrowed as a result of plaque build up, which can cause heart attacks
- Atrial septal defect (ASD) and patent foramen ovale (PFO) closures—Minimally invasive alternative to surgery to close holes found in the heart's atria (upper chambers), which could have developed in the womb or failed to close after birth
- Impella placement—A temporary heart pump for patients receiving PCI for severe coronary artery disease
- Intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP) placement—An inflatable device that helps pump blood throughout your body
- Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) management—A number of treatment options to address blood flow issues in arteries and veins
Our electrophysiology lab services
An electrophysiology lab is where physicians conduct various tests, sometimes called studies, for heart arrhythmias. We offer the following EP services:
- Pacemaker implantation—Device inserted under the skin on the chest to regulate heart beats by sending out electrical pulses
- Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD)—Battery-powered device inserted under the skin on the chest to correct more complicated arrhythmias
- Cardiac ablations—The process of scarring the heart to eliminate faulty electrical pulses causing irregular heartbeats
- EP studies—Insertion of a small rod to record the heart's electrical signals for further examination and diagnosis
- Left atrial appendage occlusion—Closure of the left atrial appendage, a small pouch in the heart, which is affected by irregular heartbeats and can release blood clots into the arteries, increasing the risk of a stroke
The Center for Advanced Cardiac Care
Our cardiac specialists improve the odds of survival after a cardiac emergency by making every second count. Methodist Hospital | Texsan has a dedicated cardiovascular emergency department, The Center for Advanced Cardiac Care, equipped and staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
We offer diagnostic imaging with state-of-the-art equipment, such as the 256-slice computed tomography (CT) scan that creates higher quality images than other CT scans, resulting in more accurate diagnoses.
Visiting our heart doctors
Methodist Hospital | Texsan provides free parking for your convenience. Patients and visitors must check in at the admissions desk through the main hospital entrance. Admissions desk staff will direct you to your appointment location or toward the EP or cath lab on the first floor. For more information on our cardiac care, please call (210) 439-BEAT (2328).
Any preoperative or postoperative care information is provided by your referring physician. Appointments are scheduled between the cardiology department and your doctor's office. Some insurance carriers require a referral before scheduling an appointment with a specialist.
Cardiology at Methodist Healthcare
Cardiology is the medical treatment of the heart and parts of the circulatory system as they relate to the heart. Cardiologists specialize in diagnosing and treating conditions related to the cardiovascular system.Learn about Cardiology
- Adult Congenital Heart - Corpus Christi Satellite Clinic
- Methodist Children's Hospital
- Methodist Heart Hospital
- Methodist Hospital
- Methodist Hospital South
- Methodist Hospital | Ambulatory Surgery
- Methodist Hospital | Metropolitan
- Methodist Hospital | Northeast
- Methodist Hospital | Specialty and Transplant
- Methodist Hospital | Stone Oak
- Methodist Hospital | Texsan
- South Texas Heart Valve Center