COVID-19 and pregnancy - An update for our patients
We would like to take this opportunity to update you about your maternity care during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and assure you that our dedicated team of expert nurses, physicians and midwives are committed to providing safe and effective care to every patient who walks through our doors.
Having a baby is an exciting journey. At Methodist Hospital, we've delivered babies for more than 50 years. We believe in family-centered care with your preferences as our focus. Our highly skilled team offers personalized care while working toward the goal of a safe childbirth experience.
About our birthing center
We specialize in high-risk pregnancy care and we are the only labor and delivery facility in south Texas with a full-service children's hospital and adult hospital at the same location. It is important to us that a mother with a high-risk pregnancy is able to stay with her newborn while they both receive treatment.
Maternity and Prenatal conditions we treat:
- Multiples births
- High risk pregnancies
- Low risk and normal pregnancies
- Pre-term labor
- Premature rupture of membrane
- Incompetent or weakened cervix
Maternity services we provide:
- Prenatal care
- Family planning
- Antepartum care
- Low, normal and high risk labor and delivery
- Postpartum care
- Neonatology (NICU Care)
For more information about our labor and delivery services, please call (210) 575-0355. You can also pre-register for your delivery online to save yourself some time when you arrive at the hospital.
*Currently, all Peek-A-Boo tours all being offered virtually as we continue to practice social distancing to keep our community safe. Please view the maternity tour video above.
Knowing what to expect and where to go on the day of delivery can help ease any feelings of nervousness or anxiety. We encourage expecting moms to join us for an in-person tour of our facility, led by team members that are ready to answer any of your questions.
Methodist Hospital maternity tour
Personalized maternity care
In addition to providing comprehensive labor and delivery services, we have a team that includes physicians, nurses, lactation consultants, chaplains, social workers and dietitians. We offer:
- Obstetrician and anesthesiologist coverage 24/7
- Support from expert doulas who specialize in the labor and delivery process
- 24/7 care specializing in high-risk pregnancy and delivery complications
- A dedicated maternity ER
- 94 bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU),
- Certified by United Healthcare as a Neonatal Center of Excellence, the NICU at Methodist Children’s Hospital holds a Level IV designation, which is the most advanced in clinical care.
- Our in-house, board-certified neonatologists, advanced nurse practitioners, and more than 150 specially trained nurses provide care 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to meet the special healthcare needs of the hospital’s tiniest patients.
- HUGS infant security and patient monitoring system
- Monitored access to Labor & Delivery, Mother-Baby and NICU
- Wireless monitoring designed for laboring in comfort, squat bars, round exercise balls and peanut balls
- Golden hour following childbirth to promote infant bonding
About our OB Hospitalist Program
Our OB/GYN hospitalist program allows hospital-based, OB/GYN physicians (hospitalists) to focus on providing consistent care to our patients while in the hospital, as well as emergent care to those arriving in Labor and Delivery. To support this initiative, we have partnered with Ob Hospitalist Group (OBHG), the industry's largest dedicated OB/GYN hospitalist provider.
Program Advantages to You, the Patient
- OB/GYN Physician Availability
- Board Certified, OB/GYN hospitalists are immediately available on-site 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- In the event that your physician is not available, OB/GYN hospitalists can examine you, evaluate the progress of your labor, review test results and fetal heart rate tracings. They will address any evolving issues and provide you and your baby with a safe delivery.
- Due to their primary focus of hospital-based treatment, hospitalists are experts at providing emergent care and are on-site if an emergency occurs.
- Our hospitalists will be in communication with your physician and will have access to your prior medical records.
- Our hospitalists are highly skilled in a variety of different delivery techniques.
- In addition to being board certified, our hospitalists are required to maintain high levels of clinical performance and professional standards.
- Being hospital-based, the OB/GYN hospitalists will always be on-site to visit you, monitor progress or discuss your questions/concerns or those of your family.
Methodist Hospital amenities
For your comfort, we offer:
- Private and spacious rooms
- Free Wi-Fi and movies on demand
- Complimentary snack and tea cart
- Room-in options for family members
- Valet parking
We offer several upgraded options for your hospital stay after birth, including our suites. Upgrading to a special amenity room includes all meals for you and your partner. You are also able to take advantage of complimentary valet parking during your stay.
Our suites offer a large private bedroom and bathroom for you, and a second room with a daybed for your partner, its own television and restroom. The suites also include a snack and coffee bar.
Let your labor and delivery nurses know that you are interested in a special amenity room for your recovery. Fees for the upgrade must be paid at time of service, based on the expected stay for the patient.
- Certified Safe Sleep Center
- 2019 Healthgrades Labor and Delivery Excellence Award™
- 2019 Healthgrades 5–star recipient for Vaginal Delivery and C-Section Delivery
Your hospital stay
During your hospital stay, we want your family to feel welcome and a part of this wonderful celebration of new life. One person that you designate may stay with you overnight in our private rooms, or suites. Big brothers and big sisters of the baby are also encouraged to visit mom and baby!
We honor quiet hours each day from 2-4 pm. This is a great time for you to get some rest.
Prenatal support and education
We are excited you have chosen Methodist Hospital to be your partner in prenatal care, labor and delivery. We support you and your loved ones’ efforts to become prepared and educated. We offer a variety of classes to help you prepare for childbirth and delivery, as well as classes for your partner, grandparents and soon-to-be siblings.
You can register for the classes or call (210) 575-0355.
How to find our labor and delivery unit
Our labor and delivery unit is located in Methodist Hospital's Central Tower on the first floor. We recommend parking in Garage 1.
Labor and delivery at Methodist Healthcare
Just as every baby is unique, so is every delivery. As your partner in care, we provide a customized birthing experience that begins long before your first contraction and continues well after delivery.Learn about Labor and delivery