Cancer care at Methodist Hospital
A cancer diagnosis can be an uncertain and life-changing experience for any family. At Methodist Hospital, we take a personalized and holistic approach to cancer treatment. That means we not only use the most effective and innovative therapies, but also find a treatment that considers the physical and emotional side effects of cancer care. Our highly skilled team will stay by your side through every stage of diagnosis, treatment and survivorship.
Find compassionate, expert cancer care. Call us at (210) 575-4000.
About Methodist Cancer Care
Our team has provided high quality and innovative cancer care throughout South Texas since 1993. We cover nearly 30 cancer specialties across five treatment locations, which means you can find world-class cancer care close to home.
Cancers we treat
Methodist Cancer Care at Methodist Hospital treats a range of cancers, including:
- Blood cancer
- Brain cancer
- Breast cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Gynecologic cancer
- Head and neck cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Skin cancer
- Thoracic cancer
- Testicular cancer
Cancer treatments in San Antonio
Taking a team approach to cancer care, we bring experts from various specialties together to create a comprehensive plan that’s tailored to your needs and that includes the latest research and technology — all so we’re able to provide you with the best possible treatment.
Your treatment plan will depend on your specific diagnosis and may include a combination of therapies, including:
- Blood and marrow (Also known as bone marrow or stem transplant)
- Immunotherapy, including CAR–T cell therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Surgery, including minimally invasive and robotic surgery options
Depending on your diagnosis, we may also create a genetic profile based on a tumor biopsy. This tumor profile will help us find a more personalized treatment that’s targeted to your specific type of cancer.
Transurethral ultrasound ablation
Transurethral ultrasound ablation is an incision-free procedure used to destroy cancerous tissue within the prostate. Using high-frequency sound waves delivered through the urethra, the sound waves are delivered directly to the targeted tissue which is then heated until the point of destruction.
Methodist Hospital is home to a radiosurgery treatment center which provides radiosurgery treatment, a non-invasive stereotactic radiosurgery that doesn’t require any incision, but instead, uses precise and powerful robotic-assisted lasers to destroy cancerous tissue, sparing healthy tissue around the tumor. This therapy typically has a shorter treatment time and fewer side effects for patients.
For more information about our radiosurgery program, call (210) 575-6575.
Besides offering the latest cancer treatments, we also provide special programs and support services to help you throughout your cancer journey, including:
- Cancer care navigators – Experienced and compassionate cancer nurse navigators support patients through diagnosis, treatment and survivorship. In 2019 alone, our 11 nurse navigators helped more than 2,000 patients.
- Cardio-oncology program – This program uses regular monitoring to help prevent cardiac complications from cancer treatment.
- Genetic counseling – Genetic testing can help show whether you or your family members have an inherited cancer risk. Our genetic counselors can help explain the testing process and talk through the tests’ pros and cons.
- Psychosocial support – Because we take a holistic approach to cancer care, your treatment plan may include oncology psychosocial support. These specialists can help you with your social and emotional health during and after treatment.
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
Methodist Cancer Care at Methodist Hospital is part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare. Our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis, to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7 and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (210) 507-0941 or chat online at askSARAHnow.com.
Our program offers cutting-edge treatments through clinical trials. These experimental therapies are not yet widely available and offer an alternative to standard treatment. We’re actively participating in trials studying gene therapy and immunotherapy treatments.
- American College of Radiology
- Commission on Cancer
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT)
- The Joint Commission
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)
- National Quality Measures for Breast Centers (NQMBC) Certified Quality Breast Center
Visiting Methodist Hospital
Cancer care is located on the eighth floor of the Central and South Towers of Methodist Hospital. The entire floor is dedicated to cancer patients.
To reach the oncology unit, enter on Level 1 and proceed to the South Tower elevators. Take the South Tower elevator to Level 8 and take a left as you exit the elevator.
For the bone and marrow transplant unit, enter on Level 1 and proceed to the Central Tower elevators. Take the Central Tower elevator to Level 8 and take a right as you exit the elevator.Free parking is available in Garage 2.
Oncology at Methodist Healthcare
Oncology refers to the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Oncology treatments may include chemotherapy, radiation, medication or surgery. Oncologists can specialize in one of three fields of oncology: medical, radiation or surgery.Learn about Oncology
- Adult Blood Cancer and Stem Cell Transplant Clinic, a Department of Methodist Hospital
- Methodist Children's Hospital
- Methodist Children's Hospital Cancer and Blood Center
- Methodist Hospital
- Methodist Hospital Metropolitan
- Methodist Hospital Northeast
- Methodist Hospital South
- Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant
- Methodist Hospital Stone Oak