Pediatric Heart Care at Methodist Children's Hospital
When your child needs treatment for a heart condition, you need compassionate experts who understand your child’s diagnosis and unique needs. At Methodist Children’s Heart Institute, our board-certified pediatric cardiologists and board-certified cardiovascular surgeons are dedicated to helping your child live a long and healthy life.
Learn how our heart team can help your child. Call us today at (210) 575-0355.
About our program
Methodist Children’s Heart Institute has one of the most extensive pediatric congenital heart surgery programs in South Texas. Our team of pediatric cardiac surgeons performs more than 250 surgeries each year.
We also have one of the region’s largest pediatric catheterization programs, which gives us access to the latest minimally invasive heart treatments and tests.
Pediatric heart conditions we treat
Methodist Children’s Heart Institute diagnoses and treats a full range of pediatric heart conditions, including:
- Aortic valve disease
- Atrial septal defect
- Atrioventricular (AV) canal defects
- Cardiac failure
- Coarctation of the aorta
- Coronary artery anomalies
- Double outlet right ventricle (DORV)
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS)
- Interrupted aortic arch (IAA)
- Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
- Pulmonary stenosis
- Single ventricle abnormality
- Subaortic stenosis
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous return (TAPVR)
- Transposition of the great arteries (TGA)
- Truncus arteriosus
- Ventricular septal defect
How we diagnose pediatric heart conditions
Our team uses the latest minimally invasive procedures to diagnose pediatric heart conditions. During these tests, your child’s doctor will insert a long, thin tube (catheter) into a blood vessel. The doctor then threads the tube through the blood vessel and up into the heart.
Cardiac catheterization tests include:
- Coronary angiograms
- Diagnostic electrophysiology
- Intracardiac ultrasound
We also have a special pediatric echocardiology lab with tests that detect heart conditions in children. These tests can include:
- Cardiac MRI
- CT scan, including a 3D CT scan
- Echocardiogram (Echo)
- Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECD)
- Fetal echocardiogram
Pediatric heart treatments in San Antonio
When surgery is needed to treat your child’s heart condition, feel confident knowing your family is in capable, caring hands at Methodist Children’s Heart Institute. As one of the largest pediatric and adult congenital heart surgery programs in the region, our caring and compassionate team has the experience, expertise and technology you want for your child surgical team. Our treatments include:
- Beating heart surgery
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Heart arrhythmia surgery
- Neonatal and infant heart surgery
- Minimally invasive septal defect repairs
In addition to our advanced heart treatment options, Methodist Children’s Heart Institute offers comprehensive support services for you and your child, including:
- Child life services – Our child life specialists provide support for your child while he or she is in the hospital. They can address any anxiety or stress and help your child feel more familiar with the hospital.
- Family support group – We offer a monthly support group for families whose children are in the pediatric intensive care unit. This group can help provide support during a stressful time by allowing members to share their experiences.
- Pediatric cardiac intensive care unit (CVICU) – Our CVICU provides specialized care for young patients with severe heart conditions.
- Perinatal navigation program – This program connects high-risk pregnant mothers with a nurse navigator who supports women as they prepare for delivery.
Visiting Methodist Children’s Hospital
Methodist Children’s Heart Institute is located on the Methodist Hospital campus. The Methodist Children’s entrance is next to the main Methodist Hospital entrance.
We offer valet parking or you can self-park in parking garage three. The CVICU is located on the 5th floor of Methodist Children’s Hospital.
Pediatric cardiology at Methodist Healthcare
Pediatric cardiology is a branch of medicine that specializes in diagnosing and treating heart conditions in children. Pediatric cardiologists provide care for patients with heart conditions before birth and into adulthood.Learn about Pediatric cardiology