Pediatric Heart Care at Methodist Children's Hospital
When your child needs treatment for a heart condition, you need compassionate experts who understand your child’s diagnosis and unique needs. At Methodist Children’s Hospital, our board-certified pediatric cardiologists and board-certified cardiovascular surgeons are dedicated to helping your child live a long and healthy life.
Learn how our heart team can help your child. Call us today at (210) 575-0355.
About our program
Methodist Children’s Hospital is home to the Methodist Congenital Heart Institute, one of the most extensive pediatric and adult congenital heart surgery programs in South Texas. Our pediatric cardiology team provides comprehensive and compassionate care, and our pediatric cardiac surgeons perform more than 250 surgeries each year. We are also home to one of the region’s largest pediatric catheterization programs. With expert pediatric specialists and access to the latest minimally invasive heart treatments and tests, you can rest assured that your little heart is in good hands.
Pediatric heart conditions we treat
The pediatric cardiologists at Methodist Children’s Hospital diagnose and treat a full range of pediatric heart conditions, including:
- Aortic valve disease
- Atrial septal defect
- Atrioventricular (AV) canal defects
- Cardiac failure
- Coarctation of the aorta
- Congenital heart disease
- Coronary artery anomalies
- Double outlet right ventricle (DORV)
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS)
- Interrupted aortic arch (IAA)
- Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
- Pulmonary stenosis
- Single ventricle abnormality
- Subaortic stenosis
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous return (TAPVR)
- Transposition of the great arteries (TGA)
- Truncus arteriosus
- Ventricular septal defect
How we diagnose pediatric heart conditions
Our team uses the latest minimally invasive procedures to diagnose pediatric heart conditions. During these tests, your child’s doctor will insert a long, thin tube (catheter) into a blood vessel. The doctor then threads the tube through the blood vessel and up into the heart.
Cardiac catheterization tests include:
- Coronary angiograms
- Diagnostic electrophysiology
- Intracardiac ultrasound
We also have a special pediatric echocardiology lab with tests that detect heart conditions in children. These tests can include:
- Cardiac MRI
- CT scan, including a 3D CT scan
- Echocardiogram (Echo)
- Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECD)
- Fetal echocardiogram
Pediatric heart treatments in San Antonio
When surgery is needed to treat your child’s heart condition, feel confident knowing your family is in capable, caring hands at Methodist Congenital Heart Institute. As one of the largest pediatric and adult congenital heart surgery programs in the region, our caring and compassionate team has the expertise and technology you want on your child’s surgical team. Our treatments include:
- Beating heart surgery
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Heart arrhythmia surgery
- Neonatal and infant heart surgery
- Minimally invasive septal defect repairs
Specialty programs at Methodist Children’s Hospital
In addition to our advanced heart treatment options, we offer comprehensive support services for you and your child, including:
- Child life services – Our child life specialists provide support for your child while they are in the hospital. Our team can address any anxiety or stress and help your child feel more familiar with the hospital.
- Family support group – We offer a monthly support group for families whose children are in the pediatric intensive care unit. This group can help provide support during a stressful time by allowing members to share their experiences.
- Pediatric cardiac intensive care unit (CVICU) – Our CVICU provides specialized care for young patients with severe heart conditions.
- Perinatal navigation program – This program connects high-risk pregnant mothers with a nurse navigator who supports women as they prepare for delivery.
Visiting Methodist Children’s Hospital
Methodist Children’s Heart Institute is located on the Methodist Hospital campus. The Methodist Children’s entrance is next to the main Methodist Hospital entrance.
We offer valet parking or you can self-park in parking garage three. The CVICU is located on the 5th floor of Methodist Children’s Hospital.
Pediatric cardiology at Methodist Healthcare
Pediatric cardiology is a branch of medicine that specializes in diagnosing and treating heart conditions in children. Pediatric cardiologists provide care for patients with heart conditions before birth and into adulthood.Learn about Pediatric cardiology