Pediatric cancer care at Methodist Children's Hospital
A childhood cancer diagnosis can be a difficult and uncertain time for a family. At Methodist Children’s Hospital Cancer and Blood Center, you’ll have a compassionate partner who will support you every step of the way.
Our team of experts takes a personalized and holistic approach to pediatric cancer treatment—not only finding the most effective therapy for your child, but also a treatment that considers the physical and emotional side effects of cancer care.
Find compassionate, expert pediatric cancer care. Call us today at (210) 575-0355.
About our program
Methodist Children’s Hospital has been home to one of the country’s most trusted pediatric cancer programs since 1993. Our patients have access to the latest therapies and treatment options, including cutting-edge clinical trials. We’re also the only facility in San Antonio to offer the groundbreaking CAR-T cell therapy.
Pediatric cancers we treat
Methodist Children’s Hospital Cancer and Blood Center treats a range of pediatric cancers and blood disorders, including:
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL)
- Acute myeloblastic leukemia (AML)
- Autoimmune disorders
- Bone marrow failures
- Brain cancer, including medulloblastoma
- Chronic myeloblastic leukemia (CML)
- Germ cell tumors
- Hodgkin’s and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH)
- Juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia (JMML)
- Primary immunodeficiencies, such as severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID)
- Sickle cell disease
- Wilms tumor
Pediatric cancer treatments in San Antonio
At Methodist Children’s Hospital Cancer and Blood Center, we tailor each plan to fit your child’s unique diagnosis and needs. Treatment can include:
- Bone marrow transplant
- Immunotherapy, including CAR-T cell therapy
- Surgery, including minimally invasive and robotic surgery options
- Radiation therapy
Depending on your child’s diagnosis, we may also create a genetic profile based on a tumor biopsy. This tumor profile will help us find a more personalized treatment that’s targeted to your child’s specific type of cancer.
Our program offers cutting-edge treatments through clinical trials. These experimental therapies are not yet widely available and offer an alternative to standard treatment. We’re actively participating in trials studying gene therapy and immunotherapy treatments.
Because we take a holistic approach to cancer care, your child’s treatment may also include services to support your child’s social and emotional health, such as:
- Art therapy
- Child life specialists
- Oncology psychology
- Oncology social work
Besides offering the latest pediatric cancer treatments, we also provide special programs and support services tailored to our young patients, including:
- Adolescent and young adult (AYA) services – These programs are focused on the AYA population. They include recreational therapy, peer support and mentoring, fertility health counseling, long-term follow-up and more.
- Cancer care navigators – Experienced and compassionate nurse navigators support patients through diagnosis, treatment and survivorship.
- Genetic counseling – Genetic testing can help show whether your child or family members have an inherited cancer risk. Our genetic counselors can help explain the testing process and talk through the tests’ pros and cons.
- Pediatric Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplant Program – Methodist Children’s is home to one of the country’s most experienced blood and marrow stem cell transplant programs. Our skilled team has performed more than 750 transplants since launching in 1993. It’s the only center in San Antonio to earn accreditation from the Foundation of the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT).
A survivor’s perspective
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
Methodist Children’s Hospital Cancer and Blood Center is part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare. Our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis, to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7, and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (210) 507-0941.
Contact askSARAH at (210) 507-0941 or chat online at askSARAH.
- Commission on Cancer accredited
- FACT-accredited blood and marrow transplant program
Visiting Methodist Children’s Hospital
Methodist Children’s Hospital Cancer and Blood Center is located at 4410 Medical Drive, Suite 550.
The inpatient hematology/oncology unit is located on the 4th floor of Methodist Children’s Hospital.
We offer valet parking or you can self-park in Garage 2 or Garage 3.
Pediatric oncology at Methodist Healthcare
Pediatric oncology focuses on the treatment of cancers that occur in children, all the way from infancy to their teenage years. Cancer often manifests differently in children, as they are growing and developing. Pediatric oncology offers specialized cancer care to focus on the unique needs of childhood cancers.Learn about Pediatric oncology