Nothing is more important to us than the health and well being of your child. That’s why the care team at the Methodist Children’s Hospital Spinal and Thoracic Center has gone above and beyond to provide life-changing therapies in South Texas for more than 20 years.
With specialized care for complex conditions, including those affecting the spine, we’ll make sure your child receives the most advanced treatment available for their spine condition. Our pediatric spine care team — which includes physicians, surgeons, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and many other providers — offers state-of-the-art testing, multiple treatment strategies and supportive rehabilitation therapy.
We also believe in taking a caring, multidisciplinary approach that addresses all of your child’s needs, making sure you understand your child’s condition and treatment options. We’ll be with your family through every step of the way, with all the support you need to help your child continue chasing their dreams.
Learn how the Spinal and Thoracic Center team can help your child. Call us today at (210) 575-0355.
Spine conditions we treat
Our care team treats spine and thoracic conditions that affect children of all ages, including:
- Congenital and developmental forms of scoliosis, lordosis and kyphosis
- Neck and back pain, which can be caused by spinal conditions or other medical issues
- Neuromuscular and syndromic conditions and the spinal disorders associated with them
- Thoracic insufficiency caused by spinal and thoracic conditions
Pediatric spine care in San Antonio
Your child’s personalized treatment plan may include non-surgical therapies, surgery, long-term follow up, physical therapy or a combination of many treatment options. Our experienced, board-certified surgeons will seek non-surgical therapies whenever possible. If surgery is necessary, the surgeon will use minimally invasive techniques that put less stress on the body and encourage a faster recovery.
- Braces and splints to aid movement
- Physical therapy to treat neck and back pain, neuromuscular conditions and other concerns
- Serial casting to treat moderate to progressive infantile or juvenile scoliosis
- Halo gravity traction, a technique that can reduce spinal curvature caused by severe scoliosis
- Magnetic expansion control rods, an innovative therapy that uses magnets to treat spine deformities caused by scoliosis
- Prosthetic titanium rib, used to improve breathing for children with severe chest deformities
- Shilla growth guidance system, which can be used to treat children under 10 years old who have early-onset scoliosis
- Spinal fusion, which can correct an abnormal curvature of the spine
Visiting Methodist Children’s Hospital
Methodist Children’s Spinal and Thoracic Center is located on the Methodist Hospital campus. The Methodist Children’s entrance is next to the main Methodist Hospital entrance.
We recommend that Methodist Children’s visitors park in either Garage 2 or use our valet parking service. Take a virtual tour and learn more about what to expect on surgery day.