In the early 1990s, the Heart Center at Methodist Hospital was created and became the most preferred As the most preferred health care provider in San Antonio, the community recognizes Methodist Healthcare for its outstanding team of nurses, medical professionals and physicians. For nearly 50 years Methodist Healthcare has provided high quality care to residents of San Antonio, and the 26 surrounding counties and patients from around the world who seek out the expertise found here. First and foremost, Methodist Healthcare earns its excellent reputation and image at the bedside of each patient every day. Since opening its first hospital in 1963, Methodist Healthcare remains committed to its mission of “Serving Humanity to Honor God” while reaching out to meet the growing needs of the community. Methodist Healthcare is the area’s second largest private employer with more than 8,000 employees. In 2011, Methodist Healthcare provided services to nearly 90,000 inpatients and nearly 390,000 outpatients.
Methodist Hospital was the first hospital built in the South Texas Medical Center. Methodist Hospital is San Antonio’s most preferred hospital for obstetrics, neurosurgery, robotic surgery, cardiac care and back and neck surgeries. Methodist Hospital delivers over 5,000 babies annually. Methodist Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center.
Methodist Children’s Hospital, a campus of Methodist Hospital, opened in 1998 as the only hospital in South Texas designed and built especially for children. The hospital features a 78-bed advanced newborn intensive care unit for babies born prematurely or facing other medical challenges. Methodist Children’s Hospital’s emergency department has 32 individual treatment rooms handling more than 64,000 pediatric cases a year. The hospital includes a pediatric intensive care unit, pediatric surgical operating suites and outpatient clinics for children with complex illnesses. Methodist Children’s Hospital is among the nation’s leading providers of blood and marrow stem cell transplants for children. Learn more at MHS Childrens
Methodist Heart Hospital, a campus of Methodist Hospital, is the area leader in cardiac care, recognized for an outstanding heart transplant program. Methodist Heart Hospital pioneered many regional firsts in cardiac care including the first balloon angioplasty in 1981, the first heart valve transplant and the first live broadcast of a beating heart bypass operation. Methodist Heart Hospital was recently accredited as a Chest Pain Center, and accredited Heart Failure Institute by the Healthcare Colloquium. Visit www.SAHeart.net to learn more.
Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital, a campus of Methodist Hospital, receives international acclaim for its outstanding dynamic kidney, liver and pancreas transplant programs, setting record numbers for volume and outcomes. Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital is home to the Texas Transplant Institute, a department of Methodist Hospital, and a nationally recognized center that recently performed the world’s first 16‑way kidney donor exchange chain during three consecutive days at a single facility. Learn more at Texas Transplantation Society, Inc.. Additional hospital specialties include psychiatric services, emergency care, orthopedics, robotic surgery, weight loss surgery and a sexual assault response team providing medical services and forensic evidence collection for both survivors and suspected perpetrators.
Metropolitan Methodist Hospital, a campus of Methodist Hospital, is your downtown Methodist Hospital. Metropolitan’s Women’s Pavilion is a modern birthing center welcoming nearly 4,000 newborns into the world each year. Learn more at Metro Special Delivery SA. Metropolitan Methodist Hospital offers round-the-clock emergency services, surgical expertise, cardiac care, robotic surgery, sleep evaluation and bariatric services with a special amenities unit for post-surgical patients. Metropolitan Methodist Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center.
Northeast Methodist Hospital, a campus of Methodist Hospital, located in the fast-growing region of Randolph Metrocom, has undergone major renovations to upgrade and expand the facility and services to better meet the needs of this area. The expansion facilitated advanced services in 24-hour emergency, surgical, cardiovascular (three cardiac cath labs with electrophysiology capabilities) units, a spacious intensive care unit and inpatient rehabilitation services. A new orthopedic service has recently been implemented – The Joint Replacement Academy – offering the latest treatment options for knee and hip pain. Northeast Methodist Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center.
Methodist Stone Oak Hospital, opened in 2009, is home to the Texas Institute for Robotic Surgery, and is a leader in providing the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques in open heart surgery, orthopedics, and neurosurgery. The hospital also offers an array of services including emergency care and obstetrics. Methodist Stone Oak Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. Visit Stone Oak Health to learn more.
Methodist Texsan Hospital, a campus of Methodist Hospital, is the newest member of the Methodist Healthcare family. When this facility opened in 2004 as Texsan Heart Hospital its primary focus was the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of heart disease. On January 1, 2011, the hospital was purchased by Methodist Healthcare and renamed Methodist Texsan Hospital. Services include excellent cardiac care with expertise in treating cardiovascular emergencies, advanced treatment protocols recognizing differences in heart-related symptoms between female and male patients, and 24/7 emergency services for cardio vascular emergencies and many other emergency situations. Methodist Texsan Hospital also offers bariatric services and has implemented a new orthopedic service — The Joint Replacement Academy — offering the latest treatment options for knee and hip pain.
Methodist Boerne Emergency Center, a department of Methodist Hospital, is the first 24/7 freestanding emergency center in South Texas. This unique health care model uses sophisticated telecommunications technologies to link the emergency center to all the resources of Methodist Healthcare hospitals and physicians in San Antonio, providing timely urgent care with the depth of resources of an acute care hospital for serious illness or injuries.
The staff at each Methodist Healthcare facility works hard to build on its reputation as the most preferred provider of health care services in this region. Methodist Healthcare is the leading provider of care in many categories including:
- Heart Services. Methodist Healthcare provides a full complement of heart services including emergency care, cardiac catheterization, open heart surgery, rehabilitation, long-term heart failure care and heart transplantation.
- Babies, Babies and More Babies! Methodist Healthcare delivers nearly 10,000 babies each year. Methodist Healthcare is recognized as a Texas 10 Step Program for its commitment to breastfeeding and providing both inpatient and outpatient lactation consultation.
- Methodist Rehabilitation Services. Inpatient rehabilitation services provide a home-like environment with advanced physical rehabilitation technologies, skilled therapists and outstanding nursing care to help patients recover and regain independence.
- Back and Neck Surgery. Methodist Healthcare performs nearly 3,000 procedures annually, performing more surgeries of this kind than any other hospital in Texas.
- Neurosurgery. More than 3,700 neurosurgery procedures are performed at Methodist Healthcare facilities each year. Methodist Hospital offers a team approach to the treatment of brain and spinal cord conditions. A team of dedicated surgeons offers the most current knowledge and skills in providing quality diagnoses and treatments of virtually every facet of neurology.
- Methodist Healthcare Cancer Network is the leading provider of cancer services in South Texas, providing a full scope of cancer care, from diagnosis to treatment including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation treatment, and blood and marrow stem cell transplants. We offer an integrated approach to the treatment of cancer for both patients and their families with a multi-disciplinary team dedicated to caring for patients from across Texas, the United States and around the world, providing high-quality cancer treatment. Methodist is a member of the Sarah Cannon Network of Excellence, committed to advancing science and transforming cancer.
- Solid Organ Transplants. Texas Transplant Institute’s kidney, pancreas, liver and heart programs are world renowned for volume, experience and outstanding patient survival outcomes. The kidney program is the largest program in Texas and is rated among the top centers in the nation. The program ranks No. 1 in the nation for living donor kidney transplants, due in part to the program’s dedication to its paired donor exchange program. History was made recently when a 16-way donor exchange chain was performed in a three-day transplant surgery marathon. The liver program has attained the best one-year and three-year patient survival outcomes among all liver transplant centers in Texas for three consecutive years.
- Bone Marrow Transplants. Texas Transplant Institute’s adult and pediatric blood and marrow stem cell programs are among the busiest and largest programs in the nation with extensive experience in performing autologous and allogeneic transplants including related, unrelated and umbilical cord blood transplants. Learn more at Texas Transplantation Society, Inc.
- Methodist AirCare. A highly trained team of experienced emergency personnel stand ready around the clock to transport patients from rural communities and accident sites. Methodist Children’s Hospital’s Maternal Fetal Medicine Transport Program is unique to all others in South Texas in that we use registered nurses specially trained in obstetrics and transport medicine. The transport team is uniquely equipped to provide fetal monitoring and interventions during the actual transport by ambulance, helicopter or fixed‑wing aircraft.
- Psychiatric Services. Methodist Healthcare provides a caring, supportive environment for adults and seniors in need of inpatient psychiatric care each year.
- International Services. Methodist Healthcare was the first hospital system in the nation to receive prestigious accreditation status by the Diversity Health Care Institute of Mexico. The accreditation recognizes the efforts of Methodist Healthcare to make health care accessible to Spanish-speaking and international patients by removing both language and cultural barriers.
- Pastoral Care. Methodist Healthcare has a team of chaplains dedicated to helping patients and their families deal with a health crisis, including specially trained chaplains for children, oncology patients, sexual assault survivors and critically ill patients.
Methodist Healthcare’s website, SA Health, offers millions of pages of health information about diseases, disorders, medications and more. Visitors to SA Health learn about health and wellness classes, volunteer opportunities and the services and programs provided by Methodist Healthcare.
Methodist Healthcare offers membership programs providing exclusive benefits to its members. Thousands of San Antonians are already enjoying the many benefits of WomanPlus®, 55PLUS® and the Young Heroes’ Club. To join free of charge, visit SA Health.