Surgical centers in San Antonio, Texas
At Methodist Healthcare, our world-class hospitals offer a wide range of surgical services. General surgical services are available at many of our convenient locations throughout the Greater San Antonio community, and we also offer a variety of specialty surgeries.
For more information about our surgical services, please call Methodist Healthcare HealthLine at (210) 575-0355.
We understand that surgery can be a stressful time for you and your family. Our hospitals try to make your stay as comfortable as possible for you and your loved ones.
Each of Methodist Healthcare's surgeons is board certified and can walk you through any questions you or a family member may have before your procedure. Our outstanding surgeons and surgical staff are one of the many reasons why San Antonio named us "Best Hospital" through the Express-News Readers' Choice Awards.
Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Centers
The Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Centers provide exceptional, high quality surgical care that our patients have come to know and trust. We have convenient centers located throughout San Antonio, including:
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Center - Medical Center
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Center - North Central
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Center of Boerne
- The Center for Special Surgery
Our expert general surgeons perform a variety of procedures for our patients, including:
- Gallbladder surgery
- Hernia surgery
- Stomach ulcers
- Other procedures to treat general diseases
Advanced surgical technology
We offer some of the most advanced robotic surgical technology in the country, including the da Vinci® surgical system. This robotic surgery tool enables doctors to perform minimally invasive surgery, allowing patients to recover more quickly with fewer risks of complications during an operation.
Heart and vascular surgery
For patients with various cardiac conditions or diseases, we provide care through heart and vascular surgery. Whether you need an aortic valve replacement due to severe aortic stenosis or a heart transplant, our team offers advanced traditional, minimally invasive and robot-assisted options.
According to the National Research Corporation, San Antonians prefer Methodist Healthcare's neurosurgeons for their neurological care over any other hospital in the region. Our neurosurgeons complete over 3,000 neurosurgeries per year.
Our pediatric neurosciences program at Methodist Children's Hospital offers care for a variety of pediatric conditions, including brain tumors and Chiari malformations.
Through our Joint Replacement Center, we offer joint replacement surgery for patients in need of knee replacement or hip replacement. We also provide orthopedic surgery options for fractures, sports injuries, foot and ankle injuries and more.
We are proud to offer life-saving ostomy procedures, a surgical treatment that reroute bodily waste from its usual path. An ostomy may be necessary due to conditions like birth defects, cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis, incontinence and many other medical conditions. They may also be necessary in cases of abdominal or pelvic trauma resulting from accidents, or from injuries sustained during military service.
Ostomy support services we offer
In addition to inpatient services that will help you pre- and post-procedure, our outpatient ostomy clinics will help you navigate life post-ostomy and will connect you to the resources and supplies you need to maintain a healthy life after your surgery. Depending on your needs, we offer the following services at our locations:
- Preoperative services: stoma site selection and preoperative education – available at all our hospitals.
- Inpatient services: surgical procedures and postoperative education with hands-on demonstration, identifying properly fitting products, connecting with resources and community support – available at all our hospitals.
- Outpatient clinic: Troubleshooting leakage and skin breakdown issues, identifying properly fitting products, assessing for changes in weight, abdominal contours or mobility issues and assisting with difficulty obtaining ostomy supplies. Our outpatient clinics are located at Methodist Hospital and Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital.
Types of ostomy surgeries we provide
Ostomies vary depending on your health needs, and we offer a range of ostomy surgeries including:
- Colostomy – Surgically created opening into the colon (large intestine) through the abdomen. The output from a colostomy includes liquid or formed stool, gas and odor.
- Ileostomy – Surgically created opening into the small intestine through the abdomen. With an ileostomy a section of the small intestine and colon (large intestine) have been removed or bypassed. The output from an ileostomy is generally a steady liquid drainage.
- Urostomy – Surgically created opening to drain urine after the bladder has been removed or bypassed. The output from a urostomy is urine and possibly mucus.
We offer ostomy surgical procedures at Methodist Hospital and Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant. In addition to inpatient services that will help you pre- and post-procedure, our outpatient ostomy clinics will help you navigate life post-ostomy and will connect you to the resources and supplies you need to maintain a healthy life after your surgery.
Plastic and cosmetic surgery
Plastic and cosmetic surgery involves the reconstruction or reshaping of the body through various surgical procedures. The need for plastic surgery can stem from a physiological need, such as reconstruction of deteriorating body parts, or a cosmetic desire to improve one's appearance, such as a lip or eyebrow enhancement.
There are various situations that would call for reconstructive surgery, including:
- Repairing scar tissue from burns or other trauma
- Repairing a cleft palate or lip
- Reduction or enhancement of breasts
- Reconstruction of breasts after a mastectomy
- Reconstruction of knees or elbows from sports injuries
- Reconstruction of facial features after trauma
- Reconstruction to correct deformed ears in children
- Reattachment of fingers and limbs
- Removal of tumors or skin cancers
- Repairing crushed bones
- Removing excess skin after significant weight loss
Breast cancer surgery
At Methodist Healthcare, we provide breast cancer patients with Hidden Scar™ mastectomy, Hidden Scar™ lumpectomy and Hidden Scar™ nipple sparing mastectomy procedures. Hidden Scar procedures are an advanced approach to removing breast cancer, both medically and cosmetically.
Methodist Healthcare is a leader in the U.S. for transplant services and surgery. We offer transplants for patients with conditions in the heart, kidneys, liver, pancreas, and bone marrow. Our specialized services are performed primarily at Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant.
Preparing for surgery
Patient safety and education are important to us. If you have any questions or concerns prior to your operation, feel free to contact our surgeons or a nurse for more information.
You can pre-register for your surgery to ensure the day of your operation goes as smoothly as possible.
If you need access to your medical records, please fill out our medical record request form.