In 1955, the Southwest Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church chartered the Southwest Texas Methodist Hospital; it opened in 1963. Its purpose was to deliver and promote improved health care as well as enhance access to health care, for those least served. From this charter and that first hospital, Methodist Healthcare System was formed in 1995 and today is the largest health care provider in San Antonio and 26 surrounding counties.
Since 1995, in joint partnership with HCA, Methodist Healthcare Ministries of South Texas, Inc. (MHM) has retained one-half ownership of Methodist Healthcare System and provides the local governance to ensure the needs of the greater San Antonio community are served.
The mission of MHM is ‘Serving Humanity to Honor God’ by improving the physical, mental and spiritual health of those least served in the Rio Texas Conference area of the United Methodist Church.
MHM is dedicated to providing medical, dental and health-related human services to low-income families and the uninsured throughout South Texas. It is now the largest private funding source for community health care services in South Texas. The mission also includes MHM's one-half ownership of Methodist Healthcare System. This creates a unique avenue to ensure that Methodist Healthcare System continues to be a benefit to the community by providing quality care to all and charitable care when needed, and it provides revenue to MHM for its programs.
Methodist Healthcare System is proud to support the following community organizations:
- American Cancer Society
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association
- Any Baby Can
- Bexar County Medical Society Association
- Bexar County Medical Society Foundation
- CA Whittier Medical Society
- Charity Ball Association
- Cystic Fibrosis
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- March of Dimes
- Mexican American Physicians Association
- Greater Boerne Chamber of Commerce
- Hill Country Mission for Hope
- The Health Collaborative
- YMCA of Greater SA
- Respite Care of San Antonio
- San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research
- Women in Law and Medicine for the Cure
- The Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce
- United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County
- San Antonio Area Foundation
- Temple Beth-El
- Agudus Achim
- North Chamber of Commerce
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Shared Beat
- University of Texas Institute of Texas Culture at San Antonio
- WINGS (Women Involved in Nurturing, Giving, Sharing, Inc.