Easy, nutritious, delicious, and beautiful – this smoothie checks all the good-for-you and good-for-the-community boxes!
Cheers to the opening of Methodist Hospital Landmark, the 10th Methodist Healthcare hospital in the San Antonio area and South Texas’ premier surgical destination! To celebrate this special milestone, Methodist Hospital Landmark is partnering with its neighbor, the beautiful La Cantera Resort & Spa, to offer a signature smoothie that’s good for you and the community.
They are introducing the Berry Brain Boost Smoothie! This delicious blend will be sold for a limited time at La Cantera Resort & Spa’s Quench Juice Bar in their Loma de Vida Spa. A portion of the proceeds of every sale will go toward The Alzheimer’s Association of San Antonio and South Texas; it’s also a lovely shade of purple, the color used to spread awareness about Alzheimer’s disease.
As a health ambassador for Methodist Healthcare and a registered dietitian, I was thrilled to collaborate with both organizations to create this recipe. It includes a star-studded lineup of ingredients that align perfectly with Landmark's many services.
Here’s how you can make this delicious and healthy treat at home! This recipe makes approximately one 12-16oz serving.
Here’s what you'll need:
- Frozen blueberries: 1 cup for brain health. Antioxidant-rich blueberries may aid in preventing dementia and will honor Landmark’s neurology and spine services.
- Frozen cauliflower: 1 cup for its antioxidant and fiber content. A cruciferous vegetable, nutrient-rich cauliflower may help to prevent heart disease and cancer and represents the hospital’s gynecological oncology, colorectal oncology, and breast cancer reconstruction services.
- Peanut butter (1-2 Tbsp) and protein powder (1 scoop) for satiety. Protein is the most satiating macronutrient and helps prevent blood sugar spikes — it’s a must at meals and snacks for weight management, and here, it’s a nod to Landmark’s bariatric services. I use vegan vanilla protein powder in this recipe!
- Ground flax seed: 1 Tbsp for its omega-3 fatty acid content. This seed, which also boosts protein content, is critical to heart and brain health, and we celebrate its health and the general surgery services that Methodist Hospital Landmark offers.
- Cacao nibs: 2 Tbsp for its potential to boost your brain and heart health, gut health, and even combat chronic diseases. Cacao not only honors Methodist Healthcare’s commitment to the battle against Alzheimer’s, but it’s also an easy and delicious way to boost nutrients.
- Ground cinnamon: 1/2 Tsp for a nice touch of fall and potential health benefits. Not only is the spice known to help control blood sugar spikes, but it may also help prevent and treat UTIs, and we’re including it to represent Landmark's excellent urology services.
- Almond milk: 1 cup for the liquid element. This could be substituted with milk of your choice.
- Salt: 1/2 Tsp is an optional ingredient that pairs great with the cacao nibs.
Put all the ingredients in a blender and mix until it's smooth!
Please enjoy our delicious, healthy collaboration at the Loma de Vida Spa, and visit sahealth.com/landmark to learn more about Methodist Hospital Landmark.
About the author
Claudia Zapata-Elliott, MS, RD, founded The Diplomacy Diet™, a wellness consultation company, and serves as a Health Ambassador for Methodist Healthcare. She lives in San Antonio with her husband, Sean Elliott, a former NBA player and current broadcaster for the San Antonio Spurs.
3 min Read Time