About The Joint Replacement Center at Methodist Hospital Metropolitan
If you’re one of the 58 million Americans with arthritis, you know how much the joint pain, inflammation and stiffness arthritis causes can limit your life. If you’re putting your life on hold because of arthritis pain, and if nonsurgical methods are no longer helping, it may be time to consider joint replacement surgery. The team at The Joint Replacement Center at Methodist Hospital Metropolitan can help.
The goal of joint replacement surgery is to relieve your pain, restore your independence and return you to an active lifestyle as quickly as possible. The joint replacement team at Methodist Hospital Metropolitan is dedicated to making sure each patient has the preparation, education, support and coordinated care necessary for the best possible long-term result.
To learn more about our services or to register for a presurgical joint replacement, please call (210) 757-2251.
Why choose Methodist Hospital Metropolitan for joint replacement
The Joint Replacement Center offers everything you need to get back to the active life you love, all in one place. You have access to:
- An expert, multidisciplinary team of orthopedic surgeons, nurses, physical and occupational therapists and case managers
- Advanced surgical technology for joint replacement, including a state-of-the-art robotic-assisted surgical system for precision joint replacement
- Coordinated care with a dedicated joint replacement coordinator who guides you through the entire process, before, during and after surgery
- A presurgical joint replacement class for you and your coach, so you know exactly what to expect
- Convenient location – from presurgical preparation to follow-up care after surgery, you don’t have to travel across the city to get the great care you deserve
- All private rooms, so you can recover in comfort after your surgery
Our commitment to patient education sets our center apart. When patients have more knowledge about the process of joint replacement surgery, they have better results afterward. We want our patients to have the best possible outcomes, including less pain and a return to previous activity levels. Our patients' preparation is one reason our patients generally go home the day after surgery.
We know how important it is to engage patients and their coaches in the preparation process before surgery and recovery after surgery. Your coach is a family member or friend who will help and support you as you recover from knee or hip replacement surgery. Joint replacement patients who have involved coaches tend to do better after surgery and have better results from their joint replacement. We encourage coaches to come with patients to our presurgical class, physical therapy sessions after surgery and discharge planning meetings before going home.
Preparing you for surgery
The presurgical patient education class gives you all the information to have successful joint replacement surgery. The course is led by one of our joint replacement nurses and one of our physical therapists. You will receive materials to take home, and you and your coach will be able to ask questions. In the class, we cover:
- What arthritis is, and how joint replacement surgery helps
- How to get yourself ready for surgery, including preoperative exercises to help you get in the best physical condition possible
- How to prepare your home to support a safe recovery after surgery
- What to bring to the hospital
- What to expect in the hospital
- What safety equipment and assistive devices you’ll need after surgery and how to get them
- The role of discharge planning in surgical success
On the day you attend our joint replacement class, you can also:
- Preregister for your surgery
- Complete preoperative forms
- Get your preadmission testing done (appointment required)
Throughout the process, the team at Joint Replacement Center at Methodist Hospital Metropolitan is there to help you get the best possible results from your joint replacement surgery, so you can get back to your everyday life.
Think you may qualify for joint replacement surgery? Take our free online assessment.