Our 17-bed pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) is the largest PICU in San Antonio. This care unit provides the highest level of treatment for children following major surgery, recovering from serious injuries or experiencing respiratory distress. We offer the best in expert care for your child and the latest technology to heal even the most critically ill patients.
With our specially trained nurses and pediatric physicians, our PICU provides in-house coverage and care 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our pediatric intensivists are board-certified in pediatric critical care medicine and are cardiac- and ECMO- (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) trained.
The department provides comprehensive care to critically ill patients in 17 PICU beds with state-of-the-art monitoring equipment.
Methodist Healthcare’s pediatric intensive care department has the tools and expertise to treat children who have even the most complex medical conditions. Our features include:
- Bedside surgical procedures
- Technologically advanced radiology
- Conventional and non-conventional mechanical ventilator including high-frequency oscillatory ventilation and an inhaled nitric oxide program
- Respiratory therapy
- Nutrition management
- Specialized nursing team
- Life support, including whole body cooling, inhaled nitric oxide, non-invasive, conventional and high-frequency ventilation
- Subspecialty physician services for infants with rare congenital conditions
- Cardiac and respiratory ECMO for critically ill patients
Our pediatric hospitalists provide 24/7 on call availability—a unique and valuable service at Methodist Children's Hospital. Upon request by the patient's pediatrician, pediatric hospitalists manage patients who need continuing and individualized care after transfer from the pediatric intensive care unit with complex conditions, like congenital heart disease.
We understand that this is an emotional journey and encourage parents to be active participants along the way in the care of their children, guiding them, as we guide you. With the support of our community in San Antonio, we are committed to providing you with the best children’s care in the area.