Plastic and cosmetic surgery involves the reconstruction or reshaping of the body through various surgical procedures. The need for plastic surgery can stem from a physiological need, such as reconstruction of deteriorating body parts, or a cosmetic desire to improve one’s appearance, such as the enhancement of the lips or eyebrows.
Some examples of circumstances that would call for reconstructive surgery include:
- Repairing scar tissue from burns or other trauma
- Repairing a cleft palate or lip
- Reduction or enhancement of breasts
- Reconstruction of breasts after a mastectomy
- Reconstruction of knees or elbows from sports injuries
- Reconstruction of facial features after trauma
- Reconstruction to correct deformed ears in children
- Reattachment of fingers and limbs
- Removal of tumors or skin cancers
- Repairing crushed bones
- Removing excess skin after significant weight loss
Our expert staff at Methodist Healthcare can offer consultation, advice and the highest quality of care for all your plastic surgery needs.