Weight loss surgery in San Antonio, Texas
Losing weight can be difficult, and we know that. That’s why the Methodist Weight Loss Centers team in San Antonio is committed to extending lives, improving quality of life and maximizing independence through a variety of weight-loss surgeries and lifestyle coaching.
Through a multidisciplinary and comprehensive approach, we work with individuals through every step of their surgical weight loss journey to ensure each patient receives and individualized care plan to successfully navigate the weight loss journey.
Your journey starts here
At the Methodist Healthcare Weight Loss Centers in San Antonio, we help patients restart their lives through surgical and medical weight loss treatment.
- Step 1: Start your journey by calculating your BMI
- Step 2: Take a free health assessment to find out if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery
- Step 3: Call to register for a free seminar to learn more about starting your journey or schedule an appointment with a provider at (210) 507-0957
Are you a candidate for surgery?
Learn more about bariatric surgery
Effects of obesity
Obesity is an excess proportion of total body fat. Obesity is most commonly measured by body mass index (BMI). A person with a BMI greater than 30 is considered obese. A BMI greater than 40 suggests morbid obesity.
Morbid obesity is a disease that can cause a severe decline in health and a shortened life span. Weight loss surgery is not done for cosmetic reasons— it is done to treat and prevent serious medical problems associated with severe obesity. Nearly all body systems are affected by morbid obesity.
Common medical conditions paired with morbid obesity we treat:
- High blood pressure
- Obstructive sleep apnea, breathing failure
- Degeneration of weight-bearing joints in hips, knees, ankles, and feet
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Sleep apnea
Weight loss surgery services we offer:
Our weight loss surgeons at Methodist Healthcare provide excellent and compassionate care for patients offering a variety of bariatric surgery options to ensure the most appropriate option for each patient.
- Gastric bypass
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Adjustable gastric band surgeries
- Intestinal pylorus-sparing (SIPS)
- Robotic-assisted bariatric surgery
Weight loss patient journeys
At Methodist Weight Loss Centers, we understand every patient is unique, and each journey is different.
Weight Loss Patient Journey
Robotic bariatric surgery
We offer minimally invasive robot-assisted surgery for gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy. Your surgeon uses a surgical robot to allow for enhanced visibility and dexterity during a procedure, resulting in a less invasive experience.
Robotic-assisted surgery offers several potential benefits compared to traditional surgery or laparoscopy, including:
- Less pain
- Shorter hospital stay
- Reduced blood loss
- Lower rate of complications
- Smaller incisions for minimal scarring
The Methodist Weight Loss Centers offer outstanding support to our patients before, during and after weight loss surgery. We offer these support services to help keep you on track with your weight loss goals.
- Pre-surgical classes
- Support Groups
- Educational opportunities
- The pre-surgical class is designed to ensure that you are ready for surgery and address any questions or concerns. We also offer a monthly support group and educational classes led by our Behavioral Health team with scheduled visits from our surgeons and dietitians.
We are network providers for many insurance plans. If insurance does not cover your surgery, we have several financing options available.
Potential health benefits of bariatric surgery
People who undergo surgery for obesity tend to lose substantial amounts of weight after surgery (50 to over 200 pounds), with an excellent chance of maintaining their lower weight for life.
Life after bariatric surgery can improve or resolve many issues as the medical stress caused by weight is reduced. A few of the most important medical and lifestyle improvements that are seen after bariatric surgery are:
- 85 percent of diabetes cases are resolved
- 95 percent of GERD cases are resolved
- 60 percent of high blood pressure cases are resolved
- 50 percent of cancer risk is reduced after weight loss surgery
- 40 percent increase in life expectancy over the next five years
- Improved breathing and increased energy levels
- Better ability to travel
- Greater confidence
- Improved job or career prospects
- Better quality sleep
Note this outline of benefits is not complete unless it is balanced against the risks of the chosen weight loss surgery.
If you are interested in surgical weight loss and would like to learn if you are a candidate, call us today at (210) 507-0957 to speak to our team.
Accredited bariatric services
The Weight Loss Centers at Methodist Hospital Metropolitan and Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant have been designated as American Society for Metabolic Surgery Bariatric Surgery Centers of Excellence®.
Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Accreditation
As a Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), our skilled bariatric surgeons and weight loss teams in San Antonio provide comprehensive care and support throughout your weight loss journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
Bariatric surgery locations
Retrieving location data...