Cancer support services in San Antonio
Fighting cancer is best done with the help and support of family, friends and compassionate professionals. Our team of cancer care specialists provide the very best services so you can walk your cancer journey with confidence. We offer the following support and programs to provide an extra layer of care for our patients:
- Oncology nurse navigators
- Genetic counseling
- Bedside music and art therapy - Heart Needs Art, pet therapy
- Access to local and national peer support groups
- Collaborative relationships with the American Cancer Society (cancer.org), Thrivewell Cancer Foundation, Susan G. Komen, and Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to facilitate access to community resources
- Pastoral care
- Registered Dieticians and nutritional counseling
- Financial counseling and assistance
- Transportation assistance via the Methodist Health Bus
- Oncology rehabilitation and lymphedema management
- Palliative care team
- Referral for fertility and reproductive health counseling=AYA and adult
- Smoking Cessation program
Getting diagnosed with cancer is a life-changing event. Methodist Healthcare has highly trained mental health professionals to help individuals and families cope with the stressors that cancer brings.
Our staff is dedicated to taking a holistic approach to the needs of our cancer patients and families. Our Psychosocial Oncology team understands that the emotional, psychological, spiritual and social impact of cancer is often more difficult to manage than the medical aspects of cancer care.
In the hospital setting, we offer clinical oncology social work consultations for individual, group and family counseling. Our clinical social work staff can help with:
- Anxiety and depression
- Adjustment to illness
- Caregiver support
- Talking to children about cancer
- Parenting with cancer
- Stressors that come with cancer treatment
We also provide individualized cancer education and support, family conferences and referral to outside cancer and financial resources to address the needs of the whole family.
It's a C Thing
Our mission is to increase awareness of the unique needs of young adults 15 to 39 years old diagnosed with cancer in the South Texas and the Greater San Antonio community.
In collaboration with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS), Methodist Hospital offers a monthly young adult cancer support group where attendees can talk to and connect with other adolescents and young adults.
Patients with cancer and their loved ones are encouraged to follow our Facebook page for more information and to meet a network of supporters. We provide resources, news and features, but most importantly we want to hear from you. Tell us your needs and thoughts and have a conversation with us.
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
Methodist Healthcare is part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare. Our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis, to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally-trusted care with the support of a globally-recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially-trained nurses are available 24/7 and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (210) 507-0941 or chat online at askSARAHnow.com.