Cardiac rehab in San Antonio
Cardiac rehabilitation, commonly referred to as cardiac rehab, is an outpatient therapy program that consists of exercise and education. At Methodist Heart, we offer personalized treatment plans, including evaluation and instruction on physical activity, nutrition, stress management and other health-related areas. Our emphasis is placed on long-term lifestyle changes that will help protect and preserve cardiopulmonary function and maintain optimal health.
For more information about our cardiac rehabilitation services, please call Methodist Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Center at (210) 575-8235.
Our cardiovascular rehabilitation services are provided by qualified registered nurses, respiratory therapists, dietitians and exercise physiologists. Your referring physician will be updated frequently about your progress and overall heart care.
Candidates for cardiac rehabilitation
All participants with evidence of a cardiac problem are candidates for cardiac rehabilitation. Patients at high risk for developing heart disease are also encouraged to participate. The program is designed for patients with, but not limited to, the following heart problems or procedures:
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Coronary bypass surgery
- Heart valve surgery
- Heart attack
- Angioplasty or coronary stent placement
- Heart failure
- Stable angina
- Pre and post-heart transplant
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD)
Cardiac rehab is generally covered by most health insurance companies, but check your plan to determine copays or other requirements. Call us at (210) 575-8235 to discuss options if your insurance does not provide coverage. Our staff will be glad to assist you.
Our cardiac rehabilitation program
You will need a physician's order to enter cardiac rehabilitation. Information on your health status will then be assessed through a variety of diagnostic tests, which may include a cardiac stress test and six-minute walk test.
Exercise consists of an individualized program using stationary bikes, treadmills, elliptical trainers and resistance and strength training equipment.
In addition to a personalized exercise regimen, our cardiac rehab program also consists of education sessions to help you learn more about your heart health. Education topics include:
- Disease process
- Nutritional management
- Smoking cessation
- Medication usage
- Diabetes management
- Energy conservation
- Stress management
- Breathing techniques
Benefits of cardiac therapy
Recent scientific studies have shown that people who complete a cardiac rehabilitation program can increase their life expectancy by up to five years. Cardiac rehab offers:
- Assessment of your personal risk factors for heart and blood vessel disease
- Education and support to make healthy lifestyle changes
- Beginning and maintaining a personalized exercise plan that works for you
- Monitoring and better control of blood pressure, lipids and diabetes
- Psychological and depression assessment and support
- Opportunity to meet and share stories with other patients like you
- Improved communication with your doctor and other healthcare providers about your progress following your cardiac event
Through cardiac rehab, you can experience the following benefits:
- Enhanced recovery after hospitalization
- Stop or reverse damage to the blood vessels in your heart
- Lessen the physical and emotional effects of heart disease
- Live longer and lessen your chances for another heart attack
- Improve your stamina, strength and flexibility, get back to usual activities, including work, hobbies and regular exercise
- Reduced body fat and increased muscle mass
- Improved blood cholesterol levels
- Weight loss and ability to control weight
- Improve your ability to handle stress
- Improve your confidence, self-esteem, well-being and independence