Providing relief for long-term illness in San Antonio
Palliative care is an approach that improves the quality of life of patients and their families facing the problems associated with life-threatening conditions. Using early identification, assessment and treatment of pain and other physical, psychosocial and spiritual problems, Methodist Healthcare offers relief for patients that are experiencing long-term illness.
To be referred to the palliative care program, ask your physician or care team for a referral. The following Methodist Healthcare hospitals offer this care:
- Methodist Hospital | Metropolitan
- Methodist Hospital | Northeast (coming soon)
- Methodist Hospital | Stone Oak
Palliative care services
The main goals of palliative care include:
- Preventing or treating side effects caused by the treatment of a disease
- Preventing or treating psychological, social and spiritual troubles related to the disease or its treatment
- Helping people with a life-threatening disease to live more comfortably
In addition, our palliative care services:
- Provide relief from pain and other distressing symptoms
- Offers a support system to help the family cope during the patient's illness and in their own bereavement
- Will enhance the quality of life and may also positively influence the course of illness
- Integrate the psychological and spiritual aspects of patient care
- Offer a support system to help patients live as actively as possible until death
- Affirm life and regard dying as a normal process
- Intend to neither hasten nor postpone death
Our multidisciplinary team
Our team of dedicated professionals in medicine, nursing, social work and chaplaincy work together to address the needs of patients and their families, including bereavement counseling, if needed.
These dedicated team members are trained to help patients and families in a supportive environment incorporating psychosocial and spiritual care according to the patient and family needs, values, beliefs and cultures.
Palliative care locations
Retrieving location data...