Expert pulmonologists in San Antonio, Texas
At Methodist Healthcare, our priority is to provide all our patients with effective, long-term respiratory solutions that will improve their quality of life. Our pulmonologists offer patients excellent care using the latest technologies in diagnostic screening and treatment.
To learn more about our pulmonary care services, call the Methodist Healthcare HealthLine at (210) 575-0355.
Pulmonary conditions we treat
Pulmonologists are specially trained in diseases and conditions of the chest, such as pneumonia or complicated chest infections. Many acute respiratory conditions can be treated by an internist or primary care physician. An appointment with a pulmonologist is only necessary for complex pulmonology conditions.
Our knowledgeable physicians at the Advanced Lung Care Center also offer pulmonary rehabilitation and other advanced treatment options for several conditions, including:
- Cystic fibrosis
- Lung abscesses
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), seven percent of Americans experience some form of asthma. This respiratory condition is caused by inflammation of the bronchial tubes, which can be triggered by physical activity, respiratory infections or airborne allergens like pollen and smoke. Scientists and researchers still do not know why some people get asthma or severe asthma, but many believe it can be a result of the environmental conditioning the person is used to and their genes.
Symptoms may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing while exercising, known as exercise-induced asthma
If you are overweight, have a history of asthma in your family or have had exposure to cigar or cigarette smoke, you are at greater risk of developing asthma. There are many temporary and permanent treatments for asthma. If you are coping with asthma-like symptoms, consult one of our experienced pulmonologists today for an evaluation.
At Methodist Healthcare, we offer a pulmonary rehabilitation program designed to assist each patient to attain optimal physical, psychological, social and vocational well-being. Emphasis is placed on incorporating long-term lifestyle changes that will help protect and preserve pulmonary function and maintain overall health.
We offer a comprehensive program, led by our multidisciplinary team, for patients experiencing:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Pre- and post-lung transplant
Patients benefit greatly from participation in our pulmonary rehabilitation program. Our program allows for:
- Improved recovery after hospitalization
- Lessened physical and emotional effects of pulmonary disease
- Improved stamina, strength and flexibility
- A quicker return to your usual activities, including work, hobbies and regular exercise
- Reduced body fat and increased muscle mass
- Improved blood cholesterol levels
- Weight loss and weight management
- Improved ability to quit tobacco usage
- Increased ability to handle stress
- Enhanced confidence, well-being and independence
Most health insurance companies cover pulmonary rehabilitation services. However, we recommend you check your plan to determine copays or other requirements. Call us at (210) 575-8235 to discuss options if your insurance does not provide coverage.
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation treatment
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, or ECMO, is a form of advanced life support for patients with severe respiratory failure. Blood is pumped out of the body, oxygenated and then returned to the body. Veno venous (VV) ECMO, can be considered for any patient with severe respiratory failure and a potentially reversible cause (pneumonia, aspiration or volume overload) who meets the following criteria:
- Hypoxemic respiratory failure
- Respiratory acidosis with pH less than 7.20 despite optimal ventilator management
- Initiation of acute respiratory distress (ARDS) rescue therapies (PEEP) greater than 15, prone positioning, inhaled nitric oxide, neuromuscular blockade)
- Respiratory failure with significant barotrauma (bronchopleural fistula, pneumothorax, subcutaneous emphysema, etc.)
Our Methodist Advanced Lung Center offers the most advanced diagnostic care and services for the treatment of lung disease and lung cancer. Our expert provider and physician team focus primarily on the treatment of lung cancer, pulmonary hypertension and interstitial lung disease.