Behavioral health care in San Antonio, Texas
Methodist Healthcare is committed to providing an exceptional standard of care, which extends to our crisis stabilization services for behavioral health and substance abuse conditions. Our multi-disciplinary team and individualized treatment approach has served to provide a safe, comfortable environment that promotes recovery.
For more information about behavioral health services at Methodist Hospital | Specialty and Transplant, please call (210) 575-0500.
Behavioral health diagnoses/conditions
Methodist Hospital | Specialty and Transplant offers a full spectrum of adult and geriatric behavioral health services that diagnose and treat the following conditions:
- Mood disorders
- Suicidal behavior
- Psychotic thinking
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Psychiatric diagnosis with secondary chemical dependence
Symptoms of major depression
- Depressed most of the day, nearly every day.
- Feeling sad, empty, hopeless or are teary.
- Feeling no pleasure or a significantly reduced interest in most activities of the day, nearly every day.
- Experiencing significant weight loss when not dieting.
- Weight gain or unexplained decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day.
- Insomnia or sleeping excessively nearly every day.
- Restlessness or slowed behavior that can be observed by others.
- Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day.
- Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt, such as believing things that are not true nearly every day.
- Inability to concentrate or indecisiveness nearly every day.
- Recurring thoughts of suicide, death or planning a suicide.
- Attempted suicide.
Symptoms of bipolar disorder
- In most forms of bipolar disorder, moods alternate between elevated and depressed over time. However, with mixed bipolar disorder, a person experiences both mania and depression simultaneously or in rapid sequence.
- Self-injury, often referred to as cutting, self-mutilation or self-harm, is an attempt to cope with overpowering negative emotions, such as extreme anger, anxiety and frustration. It is usually repetitive, not a one-time act.
- When a person's illness follows the classic pattern, diagnosing bipolar disorder is relatively easy. However, bipolar disorder symptoms can defy the expected manic-depressive sequence.
- Suicide is a very real risk for people with bipolar disorder, whether they are in a manic or depressive episode. Approximately 10 to 15 percent of people with bipolar disorder commit suicide. However, treatment greatly lowers the risk.
Behavioral health services and procedures
Methodist Healthcare offers behavioral health services for adults age 18 years and older. Our 74-bed secure unit, including a specialized 10-bed geriatric unit, is located at Methodist Hospital | Specialty and Transplant. Our goal at is to ensure that patients receive treatment in a setting that is conducive to their individualized needs. We offer a variety of treatment programs designed specifically for adults with mental health conditions.
Adult and senior behavioral health
- Psychiatry services
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Medication management
- Nursing care services
- Other approaches to stabilize patients rapidly and implement treatment plans.
Adult outpatient services
Opioid stabilization services
Our outpatient program provides an individualized approach to treating substance abuse disorders, with the combination of behavioral health therapy and medication. This program includes:
- Physician evaluation
- Medication management
- Nursing education and care
- Structured group therapy with licensed clinician
- Weekly family support and education groups
- Lab work, if needed
- Routine drug screen
Intensive outpatient program
The program is designed to provide care for individuals who are stable on medications, but in need of psychotherapy intervention. Our program offers tracks for both mental health and substance abuse.
Partial hospital program
This medically supervised, structured day program provides the same level of behavioral health and/or substance abuse services as those received on an inpatient unit.
Behavioral health locations
Retrieving location data...