Your safety is our priority
Delivering a baby comes with a variety of emotions - excitement, love, joy, anxiety, and even fear. In today's environment, we take safety even more seriously to ensure that our patients, visitors and staff are healthy and safe as we move through the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Labor and delivery at Methodist Hospital Metropolitan
Having a baby can be one of the most exciting and wonderful experiences for your family. At Methodist Hospital Metropolitan, we provide families with the only stand-alone birthing center in San Antonio. Formally known as The Suzell Waller Women’s Pavilion, our birthing center offers a dedicated, private entrance and is designed to help families welcome their newest members in a safe and comfortable environment, close to home.
About our birthing center
The women’s health team at Methodist Hospital Metropolitan is dedicated to providing safe and compassionate care in a comfortable environment. Our center offers a variety of maternity services that are designed to ensure both mom and baby are safe under any circumstance.
To learn more about our labor and delivery unit, please call (210) 575-0355. You can also pre-register for your delivery online to save yourself some time when you arrive at the hospital.
Maternity and prenatal conditions we treat:
- Multiples births
- High risk pregnancies
- Low risk and normal pregnancies
- Pre-term labor
- Premature rupture of membrane
- Hypertension and diabetes
- Incompetent or weakened cervix
Maternity services we provide:
- Prenatal care
- Family planning
- Antepartum care
- Low, normal and high risk labor and delivery
- Postpartum care
*Currently, all Peek-A-Boo tours are being offered virtually as we continue to practice social distancing to keep our community safe. Please view our Peek-A-Boo video tour below.
Methodist Hospital Metropolitan amenities
Our birthing center is designed to ensure mom and baby receive exceptional care throughout the delivery and recovery journey.
- 58 licensed beds:
- 7 Antepartum beds for high risk prenatal care
- 16 private Labor-and-Delivery suites
- 35 private, spacious postpartum rooms, designed to encourage quality time between mom and baby after birth**
- **Private suites available for an additional charge
- 16-bed Level III Newborn Intensive Care Unit staffed 24/7 with a nurse practitioner
- 24/7 Physician coverage by our OB Hospitalist Group.
- 24/7 Anesthesia coverage
- Advanced infant security system
- Chef-prepared meals
- “Quiet Hours” between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Cord blood collection and banking
- Certified Texas 10 Step lactation services on-site
Our Perinatal Navigator is available to help high-risk mothers-to-be navigate through the complex healthcare system as they prepare for the delivery of their baby. The navigator partners with healthcare team members, providers and specialists to help develop a plan of care to achieve the best possible outcomes. You will be provided with the emotional support, education, and care coordination you may need along your journey. Please speak with your provider to enroll in this service.
About our OB Hospitalist Program
Our OB/GYN hospitalist program allows hospital-based, OB/GYN physicians (hospitalists) to focus on providing consistent care to our patients while in the hospital, as well as emergent care to those arriving in Labor and Delivery. To support this initiative, we have partnered with Ob Hospitalist Group (OBHG), the industry's largest dedicated OB/GYN hospitalist provider.
- OB/GYN Physician Availability
- Board Certified, OB/GYN hospitalists are immediately available on-site 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- In the event that your physician is not available, OB/GYN hospitalists can examine you, evaluate the progress of your labor, review test results and fetal heart rate tracings. They will address any evolving issues and provide you and your baby with a safe delivery.
- Due to their primary focus of hospital-based treatment, hospitalists are experts at providing emergent care and are on-site if an emergency occurs.
- Our hospitalists will be in communication with your physician and will have access to your prior medical records.
- Our hospitalists are highly skilled in a variety of different delivery techniques.
- In addition to being board certified, our hospitalists are required to maintain high levels of clinical performance and professional standards.
- Being hospital-based, the OB/GYN hospitalists will always be on-site to visit you, monitor progress or discuss your questions/concerns or those of your family.
The best for you and your baby
You want the best care for you and your baby. And so do we. Our OBHG hospitalist program is a key component in elevating the standard of women's healthcare and increasing patient safety and satisfaction of women, newborns and their families.
The patient journey
Each patient has a unique birthing experience and our team prides itself our ensuring every delivery experience meets your expectations. Hear directly from other San Antonio moms.
Our partnership with WIC Texas
We have partnered with WIC Texas to ensure babies go home with exactly what they need to stay healthy. WIC comes to our campus every Wednesday and Friday to enroll moms before they are discharged home with baby. The WIC program helps families ensure they are able to get formula or food for baby. Check with your care team while you’re in the hospital to get started.
Prenatal care and family planning
Methodist Healthcare offers a comprehensive approach to prenatal care and family planning, providing educational classes for mom, dad, and siblings to help the family prepare for baby’s arrival.
Methodist Hospital Metropolitan also owns and operates the Methodist Family Center.
Three convenient clinics are located throughout San Antonio Metropolitan area:
- 03 Castroville Road
- 2338 E. Southcross Road
- 507 St. James
Arrival and parking instructions for delivery day
We are located in the Women's Pavilion right next to Methodist Hospital Metropolitan at 1410 McCullough Avenue in San Antonio, Texas.
We suggest parking in the parking garage located closest to the Women's Pavilion. To reach our scheduling phone line with specific questions about planning for your arrival, please call (210) 757-2251.
Labor and delivery at Methodist Healthcare
Just as every baby is unique, so is every delivery. As your partner in care, we provide a customized birthing experience that begins long before your first contraction and continues well after delivery.Learn about Labor and delivery