Specialized prenatal care in San Antonio
At Methodist Healthcare we want you to cherish the memories of your child’s birth. Our FirstSteps Educational classes will help you prepare for the experience. When you attend FirstSteps classes, you’ll receive important information designed for you and your entire family. We have certified childbirth educators on staff who are delighted to be a part of this wonderful experience.
Registration is required for all classes. Classes vary as to length of time and are offered during the day, evenings and on weekends. All classes are available in Spanish by request. You can register online or call (210) 575-0355 to speak to a representative.
To learn more about our prenatal care services, please call our Methodist Healthcare HealthLine at (210) 575-0355.
We want to keep you healthy while giving you and your baby the best possible start in life. We offer prenatal guidance for birth planning, breastfeeding support, high-risk pregnancy care and more.
While we have recommendations for when you should take our classes, you can take a class in any order and at any time. Our suggestions are based on when this information would be of most help and relevance at each stage of your pregnancy.
We suggest these classes during your second trimester:
- Childbirth Basics: Establish a foundation of knowledge for childbirth. Learn about the different stages of labor, medical procedures and types of birth. (Also available online (fees apply), Espanol disponsible)
- Comfort for Labor: This course offers the opportunity to practice breathing, meditation, imagery and positions before the big day and supports the online and the traditional childbirth education courses. This class also prepares you for vaginal, cesarean section and scheduled births. This course compliments Childbirth Basics. (Espanol disponsible)
- Beyond Baby Blues: Discuss the signs and symptoms of postpartum depression.
- Buckle Up Baby: This course is designed to give parents information on which car seat is best for their most precious cargo. Certified child passenger safety technicians review the basics of correct car seat selection based on criteria that emphasize safety, child-appropriateness, vehicle consideration and convenience. (Espanol disponsible)
We recommend you take these classes during your third trimester:
- Breastfeeding: Learn the foundations of breastfeeding for singles and multiples. It will prepare you to start breastfeeding as soon as your baby is born. (Available online fees apply, (Espanol disponsible)
- Newborn Care: Learn about the transition into your new role as a parent, the baby's homecoming and basic infant care. (Available online fees apply, Espanol disponsible)
- Car Seat Checks: Drive up and have a child passenger safety technician check your car seat. They will check for correct fit, angle and positioning. (Espanol disponsible)
- Basic CPR and First Aid (Non-certification course): This course is designed to teach cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid for infants and children. Community classes are also available at 4 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday on the second floor lobby of Methodist Children's Hospital.