Specialized prenatal care in San Antonio
At Methodist Healthcare, our prenatal care services are focused on preparing pregnant women and their support partners with the information and skills needed before the baby's arrival.
To learn more about our prenatal care services, please call our Methodist Healthcare HealthLine at (210) 575-0355.
We want to keep you healthy while giving you and your baby the best possible start in life. We offer prenatal guidance for birth planning, breastfeeding support, high-risk pregnancy care and more.
Methodist Healthcare's women's services offer a variety of classes to prepare you for labor and delivery and the first months of your life with your newborn. All classes are available in Spanish by request. You can register online or call (210) 575-0355 to speak to a representative.
While we have recommendations for when you should take our classes, you can take a class in any order and at any time. Our suggestions are based on when this information would be of most help and relevance at each stage of your pregnancy.
We suggest these classes during your second trimester:
- Childbirth Basics: Establish a foundation of knowledge for childbirth. Learn about the different stages of labor, medical procedures and types of birth.
- Online Childbirth Basics: Learn the basics of childbirth, in the comfort of your own space, at your own pace. To complete the experience, combine this class with Comfort for Labor and a Peek-a-Boo tour.
- Young Adult Childbirth: This course is available to teens and young adults as they prepare for pregnancy, childbirth and life after birth. They will discuss the unique challenges ahead for the mothers and coping techniques.
- Comfort for Labor: This course offers the opportunity to practice breathing, meditation, imagery and positions before the big day and supports the online and the traditional childbirth education courses. This class also prepares you for vaginal, cesarean section and scheduled births.
- Beyond Baby Blues: Discuss the signs and symptoms of postpartum depression.
- Buckle Up Baby: This course is designed to give parents information on which car seat is best for their most precious cargo. Certified child passenger safety technicians review the basics of correct car seat selection based on criteria that emphasize safety, child-appropriateness, vehicle consideration and convenience.
We recommend you take these classes during your third trimester:
- Breastfeeding: Learn the foundations of breastfeeding for singles and multiples. It will prepare you to start breastfeeding as soon as your baby is born.
- Newborn Care: Learn about the transition into your new role as a parent, the baby's homecoming and basic infant care.
Take these classes at any point throughout your pregnancy:
- Baby Steppers: A walking group for mothers who get pregnant, are currently pregnant or have recently had a baby. During this time, mothers are encouraged to talk and interact. An instructor is available to answer questions about healthy living.
- Prenatal Yoga: Join a certified perinatal yoga instructor as you are guided through poses and stretches.
- Super Sibs: Spend time helping your child learn what to expect and how to help take care of his or her new little brother or sister.
- Pets and Your Baby: Learn how to introduce your fur baby to your new baby, and learn pet safety tips with a newborn.
- Rocking Dads: Join other fathers-to-be to discuss pregnancy, stages of labor, birth plan, breastfeeding and much more.
- Rocking Moms: Join other expectant mothers in an open discussion about overcoming fears, insecurities and how to be a rocking mom.
- Rocking Grans: Join an open conversation on how childbirth has changed through the years, and explore how to rock your new role as a grandparent.
We also offer standard safety courses:
- Car Seat Checks: Drive up and have a child passenger safety technician check your car seat. They will check for correct fit, angle and positioning.
- Basic CPR and First Aid (Non-certification course): This course is designed to teach cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid for infants and children. Community classes are also available at 4 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday on the second floor lobby of Methodist Children's Hospital.